Monday, September 28, 2009

My Little Muffin Eats a Muffin (and mom bakes again!)

My little muffin eating, no less, a delicious pumpkin muffin baked in the new oven!


While Beck attempts to non-nap (i.e. reading Goodnight Moon or The Very Hungry Caterpillar in babyspeak instead of napping), I'm going to entice you with a delicious fall meal prepared by your's truly.


I wouldn't say that I'm a superb cook by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't even say I'm a good cook. I can just follow a recipe, that's all.



My mom is the chef of the family, and I'm really content to let her be so that I don't have to learn how to cook a Thanksgiving turkey any time soon. Thus, it was by her recommendation (and many taste tests of her leftovers) that I came across this recipe for Butternut Squash Soup.


And, you all, it is a-mmmmmm-azing.



Ingredients
  • 6 tbs chopped onions*
  • 4 tbs butter/margarine**
  • 1 whole butternut squash peeled and cubed
  • 3 cups water***
  • 4 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 8 oz pkg cream cheese****

* I used pre-chopped frozen ones from a bag

** I used butter

*** I would recommend more since mine was the consistency of cheese sauce, but still delish.

**** I only used 1 pkg otherwise it would have been OVERLY rich. Promise.

Serves 4.

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender/translucent.
  2. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black and cayenne pepper.
  3. Bring to a boil and cook 20 minutes until squash is tender.
  4. Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor until smooth.
  5. Return to saucepan and heat through. Do not boil.
  6. Serve! Mmmm!


The critics say...

Abby = I could eat the entire pot by myself!

B = Bleh! I hate any type of vegetable that isn't corn!

Beck = Mmmm! I'll share a bite with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment