Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snow Day Numero Uno

Today is my very first Snow Day of the school year. I wasn't really expecting one, but woke up to a 5:22am phone call from our county's all-call system saying that schools were CLOSED. Back from break for one day and -bam- Snow Day! This is actually one of the reasons that I love being a teacher, besides my adoration for young minds and summer vacation, of course.

Supposedly more snow is expected on Thursday, though I trust the local meteorologists about as much as I trust my son around a Christmas tree. And that's not saying a whole lot.

And, now for some complete random things I've been meaning to tell you...
  1. I am obsessed with scarves lately, and accessorize with them daily because I think they add instant pizazz to an otherwise lame outfit. Plus, they keep my neck snuggly warm. Some of you asked where they were from, so here ya go: the purple scarf seen here is from Target, the zebra print scarf is from Walmart (for $5!) and this grey one is from Old Navy. I would recommend the Walmart ones, as they're cheap, have lots of patterns, and are long and wide.
  2. I have one and only one New Year's Resolution. Here it is: SIMPLIFY. I want my life to be easier, simpler, stress-free-er. To kick of 2010, I began by detoxing our otherwise extremely toxic basement and threw away a five-foot-pile-o-junk. One garbage day, it looked like we were moving. I don't even know how the clutter began, but our basement looks better already and its orderliness makes it a little more appetizing to stay on top of the laundry. I hope it has a trickle-down effect to other aspects of my life.
  3. I was talking with my friend, Rachel, about our bloglives, and how we both were kind of going through a blog slump. Or a blump, if you will. And she said something so true: How can I blog about it if I'm out living it? I couldn't agree more. Admittedly, I've posted just to post before. Not because I had something worthy of writing about, but because I felt I had to do so out of obligation. That's the wrong way to blog, and I vow that I will live it rather than blog about it more often.
  4. We're having car drama again. Both cars this time. VW is about to lose our brand loyalty.
  5. I gave Beckham his first time-out today. He's been doing this hitting thing, but I wasn't sure if it was malicious or not. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and calling them love taps instead. And then, when I told him NO about something or other, he bonked me in the head with the remote control. TWICE! So, I made him sit in his rocking chair for 1 minute while I stood over him looking out of the corner of my eye. He was smiling behind his paci and I don't known if he knew he was being punished or not. I think he thought it was a game. After a minute was up, I explained the no hitting mommy rule and tried to coax a sorry out of him. For kid that's never been spanked, I have no clue where the hitting comes from. Is this a developmental thing that I can chalk up to 18 months?

Oh, yes. Lest I forget to tell you that I will be working with Duet Diva and Brit on an upcoming blog assignment. Check back later for details. {Spoiler: it totally has something to do with Jake and 25 lucky ladies!} And, in the meantime, go follow me on Twitter @babblingabby!

Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment