Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...

Yesterday I took Becks to visit the preschool he will be attending in the fall. Yes, preschool. I can hardly form the words to say that, as it just doesn't seem right that he will be going to school and carrying a backpack and eating lunch and having little friends and now I think I'll cry. Sniff.

Anyway, while I do consider that a big change, it is kind of a change that is rather dependent on another big change in our lives.

Stop right now. I am NOT pregnant. Another year friends, and you may see that word pop up here. But not now. Now is not the time.

So, if you've followed my blog for any length of time, you probably know that I have been fortunate enough to teach part-time for the past two school years so that I could spend more time with Beckham while bringing home a helpful (yet meager) paycheck. I have loved teaching kindergarten even more than I imagined and love all of my kiddos dearly. So, next year, I will leave my space in the beloved kindergarten hallway so that I can teach full time. And, while that may not seem like a big deal to you all, it has really been something that I have struggled with. I have always wanted to do nothing more than be a stay-at-home mom, but we have decided that the best thing for our family in terms of our future plans (i.e. Babbling Baby Numero Dos) is for me to work full-time for at least two years so that we can save some money and make my staying home from then on a full-time gig. Plus, I have to get a master's degree along the way too. Ick.

B has always been pretty supportive of whatever I have wanted to do career-wise (ummmm, he married me when I was mid-degree #2, racking up student loan debt like crazy, and knows I have a salary cap of about $60,000), so he's behind this decision. And I don't even think Babbling Baby Numero Dos has entered his mind other than to think, Yeah, I'd like Beck to have a brother some day. Which is completely fine. I'm not ready yet either, though I get little twinges when my fav bloggers are joining the club left and right. Ahem, Natalie, Mama Faith, Lindsey B, and Hollie. Just know I'm living vicariously through you all for awhile ;)
I digress.

So, starting in the fall, Becks will now stay with my sister, Chelsea, and my mother-in-law on alternating days and go to school twice a week too. It's going to be different from the halfdays he spends with both of his nanas right now, but I think a good different. I think he will really like school and I know our family will benefit from the financial aspect of me working full time (my salary will DOUBLE! yahoo!). And I'll continue to have the benefit of various breaks, a 3-month summer vacation, snow days, and holidays to spend with my boys, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.


Any other working mamas out there who struggle with this? It's so hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment