Wednesday, April 14, 2010

11 months, Surgery, Owen, and Pics

Happy 11 months to my baby boy!!  Only one more month until the BIG day!! Poor man had to have surgery on his birthday!

All went well today.  We left the house at about 6:45 and got to the waiting room around 7:45.  It was me, Randy, my mom and Randy's mom.  Randy and I brought him back to the pre-op area.  He was SO good... I know you aren't surprised, but I was just in "awe." I was proud of myself because the only time I started to cry a little was when I was holding him and the anesthesiologist said,
"Maybe we should give him a little versed because he might have some separation anxiety."
and I said, "Yeah that might be a good idea," and I looked at Tripp and said,
"Yeah, because you're gonna be sad if you have to leave Mommy, huh?" and he immediately started shaking his head yes.
It was SO freaken sweet.  And perfect timing :)
Anyway, so they gave him the versed first and he was HILARIOUS.  You could tell it made him so drowsy, but he was like a crazy man... that medicine wasn't getting him to slow down.  He was smiling, pat-a-caking,  and doing his cute little thing where we say "show us your muscles" and he holds his arms out wide and squeezes his whole body until he starts shaking.  He was absolutely a little precious angel.
The procedure took about 30 minutes (the whole thing) and then we went back to wait for him to wake up.  That's what took about 2 hours because the little stinker didn't want to get up.  They had drugged him pretty good, though.  But he looked GREAT when we saw him.  Very, very comfortable.
While he was under, before they did the tubes, the eye doctor took out his contact and checked his cornea and his eyelid.  He put a new contact back in because he said that the eyelid looked about 95% healed, but it still had a little raw spot on it and he didn't want it to scratch the eyeball again.  So we will check it again in about 3 more weeks.

OK, so now for my RAVE on Ochsner hospital... I cannot say enough about how pleased I am.  The doctors are one of a kind.  Every single doctor Tripp has been to has gone above and beyond to help him.  The anesthesia team has taken EVERY precaution possible to protect his skin.  His skin has looked absolutely beautiful every time he has come out of surgery.  The nursing staff has been so helpful and so understanding of everything.  They take a step back sometimes and let me step in... which I like because I know him the best.  If I was in that position as a nurse, I would do the same.  Just EVERYONE was SO nice today... from the lady at the front desk who checked us in, to every doctor and nurse and anesthesiologist.  It was nice.  It felt good.

So.... GET THIS:  There was another Junctional EB baby born at Ochsner hospital about 5 weeks ago.  I know.... it's still hard to believe.  His name is Owen and he is just plain beautiful.  He and his Mommy and Daddy (Katie and Allen) have been through some really rough times these past weeks.  Owen is still in the NICU at Ochsner right now, but is starting to improve and may be able to go home soon.
What are the odds that there are two Junctional babies in the same state that live about 30 minutes apart?? The geneticist told us Tripp was one in 2 million... so really that would mean there could be about (technically- 2.5) babies in Louisiana with JEB.  I mean, it could happen... well, it DID happen.
I got to meet baby Owen for the first time yesterday.  I hurt for him and his family SO bad because I know exactly, EXACTLY how they feel and what they are going through.  I brought them a bunch of supplies and diapers and other things.  I just want to do more.  They are such a beautiful family.  And I know that Owen is in good hands after meeting his amazing parents.  Please keep Owen and his parents in your prayers through these tough times.  They are coming to our house tomorrow to watch a bath and dressing change before they bring Owen home.  They need your prayers!  Thank you so much!

Here are some pictures from the recovery room and then later on today.... (and some from yesterday's walk to the snoball stand down the road!)












This is the "show us your muscles!" 
Cute, huh??






My first snoball!! 


Can you tell what color?!?


PawPaw Carey got to stroll!


First trip to Wal Mart with Grammy and MeMe (I know, the germiest place in the world!)
And I know I don't have one of those shopping cart covers- we don't get out much, okay :)
I did sanitize the cart though!!


The Fam...


Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment