Monday, August 2, 2010

Aw, shucks...

Becks and I have been frequenting a farm lately that sells its goods at a quaint little roadside market - peaches, apples, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, corn, tomatoes, peppers, and melons. Besides the obvious benefit of knowing where our food is grown, I come home with loads of freshness for pennies. Plus, Becks gets to charm Farmer Jenny into giving him a free peach (I swear, it was almost the size of his head), riding their orange Gator, and scoping out their tractors. It's like a field trip, really. In just a few months, we'll return to pick pumpkins.
Luckily, corn-on-the-cob is something Becks will actually eat these days, so we grilled out the night of our recent trip and I let him in on the shucking. He didn't quite understand that I needed to cook the corn first, but he figured out quickly that the taste and texture after it boils is preferable.
It makes me sad to think these sweet summer days are slowly slipping away. I start school in seventeen days. It's sad and scary and exciting all at the same time. And I think I just typed enough "s" words to qualify for the Alliteration Olympics.


Y'all have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment