Monday, August 16, 2010

Stressing Out

I bought one of these today. Who knew you could be them cheaply at Staples {$19.99}? Which then got me thinking about scheduling and time and our lives, and I arrived at the thoughts below...

I know that being a full-time working mother isn't a novel thing. I am not the first mother in the history to spend time away from her child and family pursuing a career. I know that. But, it's new to me. And, therefore, I plan to spend a lot of time lamenting over the fact that I won't be the main parent providing care for our son, that I'm going to have to relinquish some control of household duties to my husband, and that our dinners for the next few years may consist solely of cereal, frozen pizzas, and anything that comes in a to-go container. I make no promises that laundry will be cleaned and folded in a timely manner {much less put away} or that I won't let Beckham watch 30 minutes of The Wiggles every afternoon so that I can relax. Though I use the term relax loosely, in that it's difficult to actually do such a thing with four grown Australian men singing about the big red car or fruit salad.

In roughly 36 hours I will be waking up to a new school year and new role. 48 hours after that, B will start his last day of work. 72 hours after that, B starts his first semester back to college and I start the fall semester of graduate school.


Hello, Crazy, nice to meet ya...

I know. Life is going to be insane. But, hopefully, manageable. I'm not quite sure how everything will work out yet - who will do the laundry? grocery shop? take Becks to the doctor? fix dinner? make sure my sanity is in check? I hate not knowing how everything will work out, and as much as I'd like to schedule everything and be in charge of everything, I think I'm going to have to - in the words of an educator - collaborate. B and I are going to have to work as teammates and still find time to maintain and nourish our relationship.

And, Becks, how is he going to do through all of these changes? Will the transition to preschool be seamless? Will he favor daddy over mommy once they're home together so much? Will he miss me? I just don't know.

I am already losing sleep about it all. And my heart will start to race if I sit and think about it too long. Neither is healthy. Hopefully, once everything gets started, I will adjust to our new normal and life will be good. But I still have my reservations...

Thanks for listening. Just needed to put it out there :)



No comments:

Post a Comment