Sunday, August 8, 2010

Teacher Week: Open House!

Me with the Kindergarten Team December 2009

Hey y'all! I am so excited to be hosting Teacher Week this week, and hope that all my blogging teacher friends will participate {student teachers and education majors should participate too!!!!}. I constantly stalk check out teacher blogs/websites and love when I come upon a new one.

I've always heard that smart teachers are good theives - meaning that you usually don't have to reinvent the wheel to come up with new material and ideas - you can simply borrow from another teacher. Admittedly, there was a point in time when I didn't want to share, and have only recently realized that success comes through collaboration. My mantra should be: together we are better! Anyway, I think that Teacher Week will allow us to showcase our ideas, success stories, teaching materials, and talent. So, don't post something unless you don't want others to borrow your ideas :)

Today, I think we should just link up to meet other teachers around the interwebs. So, go create your bio on your blog {or a post similar to mine} and then link up your post below using the Linky Tool below. Sooo super easy, promise! If you'd rather not use the Linky, then please leave a comment with a link to your site :)

10 Things About Me as a Teacher...


1. I am entering my third year in education. I taught the past two years as a half-day, part-time kindergarten teacher {to be able to stay home with Becks as much as possible} and am looping this coming year. That means my entire class from last year will be my class this year also. I am so excited! However, this will be my first time working fulltime EVER, and I won't have an assistant this year. I'm a smidge nervous...


2. I wanted to be a teacher since I was in first grade. And then I got to college and decided to pursue a degree in psychology instead. Only after graduating from the University of Kentucky in 2005, and spending the summer going What am I going to do with my life?! did I decide to go back to become an elementary school teacher. So, two degrees later and thousands of dollars owed to the danged Direct Student Loans people, amd I doing what I love.


3. Beckham was 5 weeks old when I was offered my first job - just two weeks before school was to start! He slept in a bean bag as I decorated bulletin boards (nasty, I know!) and our male principal would die if he knew he almost walked in on my nursing! Ha!


4. I want to be a principal someday. Thus, I am currently pursuing my master's in administration. I can't wait for the pay increase that attaining this degree will allow. Here's hoping that will be January 2012!


5. I live waaaaay too close to my school (well, not as close as you, Aunt Deb!) and spend too much time there over the summer and on weekends. I hope that as I become a more seasoned verteran, that I will spend less and less time there. Wishful thinking?


6. One of the biggest compliments I have ever received from a student was when a little girl from a poverty-stricken school said I reminded her of Miss Honey from Matilda. She lived a hard life, even at 8-years-old, and I wanted to scoop her up and take her home with me. Things like that remind me that I am in the right profession.


7. My constant complaint as an educator will be the pay. And don't even try to give me the whole You work 8-3pm! You get summers off! Really, I could battle this argument out with anyone who wanted to give it a go. And I would win. Trust me :)


8. I haven't decided if Beckham will attend the same school as the one I teach at. It would be out of district, but being a "teacher's kid" would admit him. I just want him to have an equal opportunity education. Any thoughts on this teacher moms? Pros? Cons?


9. I have nine immediate family members involved in education. Think there's a genetic link?


10. I spent two hours at school tonight and have to be back tomorrow morning for an 8-3pm activity tomorrow (which is why this post is going live tonight!). I have professional developments all week and Open House is on Thursday. So, goodnight and be sure to play along this week!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment