Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Another milestone on the horizon...

He went to bed a toddler tonight...
...and, tomorrow, he will wake up a preschooler.
Thursday morning will be the first first day of school that Beckham will ever have.
Already having a personal day booked for Friday, I just couldn't possibly take another day off to take him. I mean, it's been a short week anyway due to Labor Day. Two days worth of sub plans? Ick. Getting my first graders out of routine for TWO DAYS STRAIGHT? Double ick.
But I agonized over not being able to go. I cried tears over not being able to go. I was sick to my stomach over not being able to go. I was cursing the whole working-mother bit over not being able to go. But, alas, I resigned to my school responsibilities and prepared B to take him solo. I recruited my mother-in-law to accompany him - so she could remember to tell me everything that B would inevitably forget. What are his teachers like? Did he play? Did he make friends? Where does he hang his backpack? Did he miss me?


Then I did some thinking... Someday, would I regret taking two days off in a row? Or would I regret not being there to hold my son's hand as he entered his classroom for the first time or give my him a big hug when I picked him up? Yup, I would most definitely regret that. A lot.
So I signed up for a sub for two straight days, and spent planning time and after school hours making detailed sub plans. For, tomorrow, I will walk my boy into his classroom, meet his teachers, and check out his potential playmates. I will, personally, give him the biggest hug when the day is over. And then, B and I will take him out to lunch.

Because, well, you only get one first first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment