Thursday, October 7, 2010

A {Happy} Post

Today is the first day of my four day weekend and I couldn't be happier.

I woke up to darkness and the beautiful hum of the monitor, indicating that I still had a sleeping boy upstairs.  I turned on Meredith, Matt, and Al, straightened up the house and enjoyed  a cup of coffee - meaning that I wasn't spooning sugar into a to-go cup as I raced out the door.  I embraced the wonderful calm that is 7am in a napping house (which is, by the way, a great children's read) and long for the days when that's the way I get to start every day.

Becks finally woke up and just getting to see his sweet little bedhead makes the day at home entirely worth it.  Plus, PLUS, I got to take him to preschool today {bonus!}.  Oh, I was so excited.  I'm glad that B and Becks get to have male-bonding on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but B doesn't come home and give me the full-on report that I want from his teachers.  Call it the educator in me, but it's important for me to know who my kid's playing with on the playground or what he ate for lunch or if he spends his mornings squishing playdoh and singing songs about pumpkins (which he is, in fact, doing). 

Suprisingly, Becks is QUIET (as in doesn't talk a lot) at school!  What?!  My kid, quiet?!  I was so surprised, since he's quite the babbler with us and our family.  His teachers said that there are still 3-4 students who cry for 5-10 minutes every morning and it kind of scares the other kids into silence for some of the morning.  Hopefully, he'll warm up...  They also reported he does what he's asked and is very "focused" on whatever he is doing.  Is that a code word for "plays alone?"  Again, the educator in me, but - for all you early childhood teachers out there - should I be worried that he's not talking a lot at school and/or playing by himself? 

Moving on, B and I spent a great morning running errands while Becks has been away.  Target, the bank, the dry cleaners, Starbucks.  It might sound boring, but it was the best date we've had in awhile.  We talked and mosied through Target without a toddler asking for popcorn or toys.  And the time in the car, I helped B study his Spanish terms.  Bliss. {No, seriously.}

It's kind of nice that Becks was at preschool because I didn't feel any guilt that we were doing something without him.  Had he not missed almost 2 weeks of school due to illness in September, I probably would have let him spend the whole day with us, but he needed to get back into the routine and our 4 hours, guilt-free alone time was nice :)  And, this weekend we have big family plans for the pumpkin patch.  Can't. Wait.

We're fortunate that Becks' preschool is within walking distance of our house, so we're about to grab the running stroller and go get him.  And probably collect about 1000 acorns on our walk home. 

I hope your Thursday is just as nice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment