Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Jesus Wants the Rose!"

Readng through the Old Testament as quickly as I am, I am amazed at how terrible the people God uses are. I mean, really! They are not even close to perfect! The drama is comparable to an episode of Grey's Anatomy! And their list of screw ups is pretty endless. Ever read the story of Samson?? Go read it now. Judges 13-16... Shocked?? I mostly remembered the censored Sunday School details myself. Then I read this story about this womanizing, blood-thirsty brute. Yikes! No wonder they censored it! In fact, I'm pretty sure most of these OT stories if put on the big screen would have an 'R' rating. They're pretty bad, even by today's standards. And yet God sees fit to work through these flawed, messed up characters to write His perfect plan of redemption.

The wonderful thing is, He still does - "For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, so that no man may boast before God." 1 Corinthians 1:26-29

Reading about all these Old Testament men and women, I found myself comforted by the thought that despite my imperfections, despite being prone to wander from the God I love, despite beng rough around the edges, God still works out His plan for me and through me perfectly. He loves to use the messed up, flawed, hopeless, overwhelmed, unorganized, rash, despairing, don't-have-their-act-together kind of people. He gets the glory and we get the joy!

Then a friend posted this video on FB and I thought it fit perfectly with these thoughts:




Linking up to Mom's Toolbox

No comments:

Post a Comment