Saturday, August 6, 2011

Happy Birthday Sabra!


What a fun evening we had last night celebrating one of my dearest friend’s birthday.  A group of friends met at our house, opened presents, ate dinner at Antlers in Moscow and then headed back to our house for cupcakes & conversation.  

We started planning for the celebration Thursday evening.  When I picked up Keeler I told him that we were going to have Sabra a party and asked him what we should do for her.  His reply, “Let’s make her a s’mores cake with kids on it!”  My first thought, really you and I that NEVER bake are going to try to bake for my friend that bakes professionally?  But I was so impressed with his response....  it was so thoughtful of him.  This summer we have spent quite a bit of time with Sabra and her husband soaking up the heat at barbeques and have enjoyed them so much.  Keeler had really personalized a cake idea for her.  He thought about good memories (making s’mores for the first time with Sabra) and what she likes - Kids (she’s a kindergarten teacher, she is great with kids and LOVEs Keeler).  I told him I didn’t have a recipe for a s’mores cake but I could look on the computer.  As soon as we got home, he helped me look through pictures and recipes and we agreed on Betty Crocker™ S’mores Cupcakes with Teddy Grahams™ on them.  They seemed pretty amateur and really weren’t that hard to make.  It was a simple cake mix with grated chocolate bars and crushed graham crackers in the batter.  The icing was the tricky part – made from marshmallow cream and powdered sugar.  Everyone seemed to like them and was pretty impressed that the non-Bakers had accomplished such a task, even Sabra!  

Poor Keeler was so pooped from the dinner that he didn’t get to enjoy a cupcake with the group last night.  As soon as he woke up this morning he was asking for one.  So, naturally we had a cupcake for breakfast.  Hey, it’s Sabra’s birthday!  Today is a simple Saturday at home and we call it “Mommy/ Keeler Day.” We plan on going to library, renting a movie and washing sheets.  Keeler just asked if the Smurfs can go with us, my response: “of course, as long as they are quiet in the library.” 
Have a blessed weekend! 

    

“There has never been, nor will there ever be, anything quite so special as the love between a mother and a son.” (Author: Unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment