Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Day In the Life

For us, everyday is different.
We have a routine but not a schedule.
I thought I'd share a typical day with you though.
Mostly because I need to see it for the beauty that it is.
Less and less seems to be getting accomplished as my body gradually slows down.
Some days I focus more fully on housework, other days on school and quality time with the girls.
I can get frustrated though.
I don't like to be stopped from my usual pace.
So it takes a lot of getting used to.
My goal for this final trimester is to keep my patience with the kids.
Savouring the moments of each day helps with that.
Here is our day:

Piper makes the pancakes.
Its kinda her thing now.


Tait indulges in some early morning colouring while breakfast cooks.



Shoulder to shoulder these two must sit.
Peace and harmony.
No fights...yet.


These girls devour their pancakes.
I'm talking 4 pancakes each!
So good that syrupy marker drools tell the tale.



Next, there's a party in the bathroom.
I don't intervene.
Finally some interest in the potty thanks to big sister.
They'll figure out the diaper removal eventually!




That over with, they leave the bathroom to find Mama's make shift bed to which she crawled at 4:30am, seeking relief for an ever sore back.
Tent construction follows and I slip off to get dressed and make beds while they are happily occupied!



It's a sunny day so out we go!
I find the gumption to take them to the park down the road.
Off they trot with baby's in tow!



We stop to investigate a new discovery: frost!
They touch it and smell it and lick it, of course!



So pretty and cool!
I appreciate it a lot more now that I don't have to get up and scrape it off the car in the mornings!



They love the park!
I smile.
This will be a nice, restful morning.
As they play, I'll sit back in my cozy new maternity winter coat and read.
But then I hear, "NO, TAIT!!!"
Suddenly, Piper is running towards me...
"Tait stepped in DOG POOP!"
And did she ever.
I clean it up on the wet grass, but, well, that smell lingers.
Home we go...


Once again inside, the girls get right to work on a tea party.
Amid discarded tents and unfolded laundry.
Regardless, the scene still warms my heart.


I sit down to assemble a cardboard finger for the school lesson.
All in an attempt to demonstrate how muscles work.
Something about the process is soothing.
Especially surrounded by the offerings brought by little girls sharing their tea party joy!



We settle into school.
Prayers and songs and calendars and books.
They sway to the rhythm of it all.
Class on a livingroom couch with beloved babies and a best friend.
Does it get much better?


We transition to the table to color and paint the letter of the day.
But not without a marker war first....
This picture just kills me.
The marker poised just so, the defaced arm, froggy watch and ribbons hanging from long blond hair.
Treasure.



I get the stink eye lots from this one.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise - 2 is terrible.
But I love it.
I love her.


Lunch complete.
She officially has syrup, applesauce and yogurt in her hair.
And is moving on to clothes change #4...


Then they so graciously nap and have a quiet time.
Quiet.
No pictures.
I'm done!
Nap for me too!
They awake to bathtime.
Followed by hair de-knotting.
A process if there ever was one!
Favorite distraction?
YouTube Elmo clips.
Yessir!
I've found a way to eliminate the tears and conditioning had very little to do with it!


Then a whirlwind of activity.
They play Starfall while I'll throw supper together.
(Easy peasy spaghetti!)
Matt walks in and takes over food distribution so I can finally grab that shower I traded this morning for 15 more minutes of sleep!
And we're off and running to church for the Wednesday night kids program!

Upon returning and settling the kids into bed (which includes loads of hugs and kisses and at least one meltdown), I do the left behind dishes.
I read the 10+ Helps For Really Busy Moms like I usually do.



This one stands out tonight:

5. Motherhood is a hallowed place because children aren’t commonplace.
Co-laboring over the sculpting of souls is a sacred vocation, a humbling privilege.
Never forget.















No comments:

Post a Comment