Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Remembrance Day

We took time this past week to learn about Remembrance Day.
It's always difficult to find many resources for young children so I thought I'd share the little bit I've come across!
There are oodles of poppy crafts (which we never got around to doing) but books and such that simply convey why we observe Remembrance Day are scarce!

Thankfully, I came across this printable workbook: "Take Time To Remember".
It contained several activities and a printable of the poem "In Flanders' Fields".
Piper really enjoyed working though it and talking about the different illustrations she was coloring in!


We also read though a book I made several years ago about Remembrance Day.
I was disappointed by the lack of selection of books relating to this day so I put together a children's book using pictures I took of Piper's first Remembrance Day!
I gave it to my Dad as a Christmas gift that year since it was he who instilled in me the importance to take time each year to honor those who sacrificed their lives for our freedom.
The girls were especially attentive when they saw that the book contained pictures of people they knew!





One book I am very fond of is "A Poppy Is to Remember".
It is very simple, beautifully illustrated and perfect for younger children!
As we read it, Piper asked questions such as why some of the men didn't return to their families.
When I explained that they had died protecting our country, her eyes watered up as she continued to ask questions.
I was amazed at how much the book affected her this year!



Finally, of course, we attended the ceremony at the Cenotaph.
Both girls were extremely interested in all the things involved.
Again, there were a ton of questions from Piper!
But I love how curious she is about all this and that I have the opportunity to teach her about this important day!


 


Our hearts are filled with thankfulness for those who served and continue to serve our country!

(Do you have any great Remembrance Day resources appropriate for preschoolers? Please share!)

No comments:

Post a Comment