Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lead The Way

In the midst of the hubbub of life
One of the hardest things is to be quiet
To still yourself 
Pause for a moment
Even if you can find a moment to sit and relax
The mind continues to run at an outrageous pace

"Be still and know that I am God."
I know
And I try 
So often it seems impossible
To grab that solitude
To halt the myriad of thoughts racing through my mind
And revel in the words of One 
Words of life 
Full of grace that I need 
Recharge on strength that is not my own


When we make our way through stores
Bundled up
Hands hanging onto stroller
Trotting along with ponytails wagging and curls bouncing
The common comment finds us
"Well, don't you have your hands full!'
Or
"I bet you're busy!"
I smile and nod
We carry on
Because it would take too long to explain
And chances are they still would not understand
How each of these three are being used
To teach me about quiet and stillness
About taking moments for calm meditation
To not get tangled up in the rat race of life

A girl sitting quietly at a kitchen table 
Working away at a craft or design
Every morning serenity
Filled with markers and glue
And sweet lullabies

Another curls up on the couch in late afternoon
Wrapped up in blanket
Surrounded by books
And favorite friends
This forever moving girl
Settles into warmth
And books often reread
Ceasing her business
Only her eyes are darting back and forth
From page to page



During the midday lull
When others are busy giving Mama a break
Little baby bathed in sunlight
Claps her hands and hums
Plays simply with this or that 
Mostly looking around
Observing it all
Giggling for no reason I can find
Maybe an inside joy
Bubbling up and out
Making me smile 
Reminding me

The moments I need 
Of calm
Creativity
Giggles
Even tears
Of words ringing true 
Again in my heart
Of prayers
Whispered
Thanking 
Asking
Are not just necessary 
But a joy and a gift
To replenish the soul

Lead the way, little ones





No comments:

Post a Comment