Thursday, April 4, 2013

Ice-cream-in-a-bag!

Last week was our March break and every single day Piper asked if we could do school work.
Being the mean mother that I am, I said no!
As much as I was tempted myself to pull out some work, I think it's good to really take a break once in a while!
So Piper was thrilled Monday night to hear that we were starting back to school the next day!
What a girl!
But I can't blame her - we do have so much fun!
Like today.
We made ice cream.
I don't remember science lessons ever being this awesome!
The girls are learning about how liquids freeze when they become cold enough.
The manual suggested making ice cream in a bag.
I honestly thought this one would be a flop.
I mean, really?
Shake a bag and voila - ice cream??


As it turns out, I was wrong and the kids were super excited to eat ice cream in the morning!



Give it a try and amaze your kids!

Here's what you do:

1. Fill a ziploc sandwich bag with 1 cup of milk and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
2.  Make sure to squeeze as much air out of it as you can before you zip it.
3. Place it inside another ziploc sandwich bag. (Again, squeeze out the air.)
4. Next, pour one tray of ice cubes into a large ziploc bag.
5. Place the bag of milk and sugar in it and pour a second tray of ice cubes over top of it.
6. Add 1/4 cup of salt to the bag of ice.
7. Squeeze out as much air as possible and zip it up.
8. Wrap the bag up in a large bath towel.
9. Place the towel wrapped bag in a grocery bag.
10. Shake for 15 minutes.

Open it up and you have a whole baggy of ice cream!
(And sore arms since you'll likely do 98% of the shaking!)

Yay! Science is fun!
(Who knew?!)


*We're using Elemental Science's Exploring Science and loving it! Except that we've been slackers when it comes to getting around to it on a regular basis. I have no idea why since we all love it every single time but I guess it just takes a back burner to other subjects. I'm thinking summer school will be all science experiments. It's a win-win situation - we get all caught up and get to do science experiments every day!! Plus each lesson has a nature study component that is way more plausible when it's nice out! 




No comments:

Post a Comment