I will NEVER buy tortillas ever again. Homemade tortillas are so delicious, easy, AND can be made from things you already have in your pantry. They are well worth the work and they blow grocery store tortillas out of the water!
Homemade Flour Tortillas
Prep time: Cook time:
This recipe makes 12 tasty tortillas, which is more than enough for my family. Since this dough can be refrigerated overnight, you can cook half the tortillas right away and keep the other half of the dough refrigerated for the next night.
Quesadilla with chicken, sundried tomatoes, goat cheese, balsamic vinaigrette, and chopped basil
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cups vegetable oil
1 cup hot water
1. Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder with a whisk. Add the oil and mix with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
2. Add a cup of hot water to the flour mixture and and combine until a ball is formed.
3. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest for about 30 minutes or refrigerate it overnight.
4. Divide the dough into 12 balls and roll out one at a time on a floured surface. Keep the unused dough covered to prevent it from drying out. Brush off excess flour and cook the tortillas in a hot, ungreased skillet over medium-high heat. Turn the tortilla when the tortilla puffs up and blisters form.
5. Serve tortillas warm or keep them under a damp towel in a warm oven until ready to serve.
These make great quesadillas, enchiladas, burritos, tacos OR eat them by themselves!