Thursday, November 4, 2010

Soup Night!

Lately I have been attempting to make yummy soup that is low in sodium. I have found that this is very hard to do! But because I read recently that installing a weekly soup night is a great money saver I've had lots of opportunity to play around with some different recipes! I have also found that making the soup the day before helps immensely with the overall flavour. There is just something about soup sitting in the fridge overnight that makes it SO much better! Here is the soup that we tried this week - Lentil, Barley and Sweet Potato Soup!


My girls really seemed to enjoy this soup. I drowned the flavour a bit by adding more broth then the recipe called for but I'll be careful to not do that next time as the underlying balsamic vinegar flavour was delicious!

I also made Cheddar Cornbread Tops which you can see in the picture. They are really yummy and very quick and easy to whip up! I like to make homemade rolls to go with our soups but sometimes just lack the time. These are the perfect alternative!
I highly recommend 'soup night'! It is not only tasty but is a great way to use up all your leftover vegetables! We also make our own broth from the chicken we cook so the cost for this meal is minimal. I don't know about you but I love finding ways to reduce our family's grocery bill!

What ways do you save $$ when it comes to groceries?

Also, what are your favorite low sodium soup recipes? I could use some new recipes to try out!

No comments:

Post a Comment